- Academic Programs
- Schools and Campuses
- Departments and Offices
- Library Services
- Global and Cultural Learning Opportunities
- Academic Calendar
Title: Chair and Professor of Applied Theology and Church Ministries
Department: Pastoral Studies
Start Date: August 1994
BA, Wayne State University
MA, MDiv, Biblical Seminary
DMin, Trinity International University
- The Surprising Grace of Disappointment: Finding Hope When God Seems to Fail Us. Chicago: Moody, 2013.
- Folly, Grace and Power: The Mysterious Act of Preaching. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011.
- "The Power of Comparison." In The Moody Handbook of Preaching, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody, 2008.
- "Losing the Center." In The Moody Handbook of Preaching, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody, 2008.
- A Stranger in the House of God. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
- "A View from the Pew," "Connecting With Non-Christians," "Getting Gold From the Text," "Why All the Best Preachers are Theological." In The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching, ed. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- "Pillar and Ground of the Truth: The Church and Its Doctrine." In Foundational Faith: Unchangeable Truth for an Ever-Changing World, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2003.
- True Discipleship: The Art of Following Jesus. Chicago: Moody, 2003.
- True Discipleship: The Art of Following Jesus (Companion Guide). Chicago: Moody, 2003.
- "The Dynamics of Small-Church Ministry." In The Master's Perspective on Pastoral Ministry, ed. Richard L. Mayhue and Robert L. Thomas. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2002.
- God Our Father. Chicago: Moody, 1999.
- Names of Israel. Chicago: Moody, 1998.
- Names of the Believers. Chicago: Moody, 1997.
- "Jesus Disappoints Everyone.” Christianity Today (2012).
- "Come, Lord Jesus - But Not Too Soon." Christianity Today (2005).
- Review of Wholly Scripture: Preaching Biblical Themes, by Ronald J. Allen. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society (2005).
- "Finding True North." Leadership (2005).
- "How Congregational Culture Affects Your Ministry." Servant (1998).
- "Secrets of Small Church Leadership." The Preacher's Magazine (1997).
- "Secrets of Small Church Leadership." Church Administration (1997).
- "The Edification Trap." Discipleship Journal (1996).
- "A View from the Pew: Lessons About Preaching From the Other Side of the Pulpit." Preaching (1996).
- "The Making of Spiritual Leaders." Faculty Dialogue (1995).
- "A Mandate for an Emphasis on Rural Ministry in Pastoral Training." Faculty Dialogue (1994).
- "Cooking on a Limited Budget: Maximizing the Ministry Potential of the Smaller Church." The Five Stones (1994).
- "Investing in Small Church Futures." Leadership Journal (1994).
- "The Dynamics of Small Church Ministry." The Master's Seminary Journal (1993).
- "The Unique Communication Network of the Small Church." Leadership Journal (1992).
- "The Stranger," Moody Magazine (1992).
- "Trapped in an Ill Fitting Church." Leadership Journal (1992).
- "Keys to a Healthy Emotional Life." Decision (1991).
- Contributor to Adult Bible and Life Curriculum and Understanding the Bible. David C. Cook (1990).
- "Helping Your Pastor to Stay." Fundamentalist Journal (1989).
- "Facing Up to Failure." Decision (1988).
- "Mentoring Young Pastors-to-Be." Rick Warren's Ministry Toolbox (2006).
- "Losing the Center: When Personal Experience Becomes the Foundation of Your Sermon." PreachingToday.com (2006).
- How to Preach a Sermon. Baker, 2000, CD-Rom.
- The Art of the Sermon. Baker, 1998, videocassette.
- Sunday School lessons. Cook Communications.