- Academic Programs
- Schools and Campuses
- Departments and Offices
- Library Services
- Global and Cultural Learning Opportunities
- Academic Calendar
Title: Chair and Professor of Applied Theology and Church Ministries
Department: Pastoral Studies
Start Date: August 1994
BA, Wayne State University
MA, MDiv, Biblical Seminary
DMin, Trinity International University
- The Surprising Grace of Disappointment: Finding Hope When God Seems to Fail Us. Chicago: Moody, 2013.
- Folly, Grace and Power: The Mysterious Act of Preaching. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011.
- "The Power of Comparison." In The Moody Handbook of Preaching, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody, 2008.
- "Losing the Center." In The Moody Handbook of Preaching, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody, 2008.
- A Stranger in the House of God. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
- "A View from the Pew," "Connecting With Non-Christians," "Getting Gold From the Text," "Why All the Best Preachers are Theological." In The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching, ed. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- "Pillar and Ground of the Truth: The Church and Its Doctrine." In Foundational Faith: Unchangeable Truth for an Ever-Changing World, ed. John Koessler. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2003.
- True Discipleship: The Art of Following Jesus. Chicago: Moody, 2003.
- True Discipleship: The Art of Following Jesus (Companion Guide). Chicago: Moody, 2003.
- "The Dynamics of Small-Church Ministry." In The Master's Perspective on Pastoral Ministry, ed. Richard L. Mayhue and Robert L. Thomas. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2002.
- God Our Father. Chicago: Moody, 1999.
- Names of Israel. Chicago: Moody, 1998.
- Names of the Believers. Chicago: Moody, 1997.
- "Jesus Disappoints Everyone.” Christianity Today (2012).
- "Come, Lord Jesus - But Not Too Soon." Christianity Today (2005).
- Review of Wholly Scripture: Preaching Biblical Themes, by Ronald J. Allen. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society (2005).
- "Finding True North." Leadership (2005).
- "How Congregational Culture Affects Your Ministry." Servant (1998).
- "Secrets of Small Church Leadership." The Preacher's Magazine (1997).
- "Secrets of Small Church Leadership." Church Administration (1997).
- "The Edification Trap." Discipleship Journal (1996).
- "A View from the Pew: Lessons About Preaching From the Other Side of the Pulpit." Preaching (1996).
- "The Making of Spiritual Leaders." Faculty Dialogue (1995).
- "A Mandate for an Emphasis on Rural Ministry in Pastoral Training." Faculty Dialogue (1994).
- "Cooking on a Limited Budget: Maximizing the Ministry Potential of the Smaller Church." The Five Stones (1994).
- "Investing in Small Church Futures." Leadership Journal (1994).
- "The Dynamics of Small Church Ministry." The Master's Seminary Journal (1993).
- "The Unique Communication Network of the Small Church." Leadership Journal (1992).
- "The Stranger," Moody Magazine (1992).
- "Trapped in an Ill Fitting Church." Leadership Journal (1992).
- "Keys to a Healthy Emotional Life." Decision (1991).
- Contributor to Adult Bible and Life Curriculum and Understanding the Bible. David C. Cook (1990).
- "Helping Your Pastor to Stay." Fundamentalist Journal (1989).
- "Facing Up to Failure." Decision (1988).
- "Mentoring Young Pastors-to-Be." Rick Warren's Ministry Toolbox (2006).
- "Losing the Center: When Personal Experience Becomes the Foundation of Your Sermon." PreachingToday.com (2006).
- How to Preach a Sermon. Baker, 2000, CD-Rom.
- The Art of the Sermon. Baker, 1998, videocassette.
- Sunday School lessons. Cook Communications.
"I like to think big things for God! He deserves it. Whether it's evangelism, or your work or your money, whatever it is, you ought to think of big ways you can be used for God."
— D.L. Moody, Founder
Moody Bible Institute