Gain clinical training and biblical insight for counseling
You can learn to apply clinical training and biblical insight to the counseling field with a Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Moody Theological Seminary. You’ll be equipped to be a servant leader who can help transform your community and integrate faith into your work. Learn from professors with years of experience who will invest in your life and partner with you.
The graduating class of 2017 has 100% job placement and a 100% pass rate on the National Counselor Examination. You’ll graduate equipped and ready to meet others where they are while you reflect the character of Christ.
Learning Venues and Program Plan
Take classes when—and how—it’s most convenient for you, with two flexible options:
- Come on campus to Chicago or Michigan, where you’ll study in a classroom setting. At the Chicago campus, you can also get practical experience in the MTS Counseling Center.
- Courses are conducted in live virtual and in person formats.
- All first year courses can be taken live virtual with the exclusion of Counseling Techniques (CMHC 5514).
- Bible and Theology courses can be taken online, on campus, or in a modular format.
Learn from experienced faculty mentors like Dr. Deborah Gorton, the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program head. Study under Dr. Valencia Wiggins, a Licensed Professional Counselor with years of counseling experience.
Dr. Deborah Gorton
Dr. Valencia Wiggins
Dr. Oksoon Cho
Dr. Elizabeth Skjoldal
Dr. John Restum
As you study, you’ll:
- Learn the foundation of clinical mental health counseling skills and knowledge
- Practice the key dispositions necessary to be an excellent servant leader in the field
- Integrate your faith and the practice of spiritual disciplines as you counsel others
- Study historical and contemporary trends in mental health practice to navigate diversity in the field
- Apply biblical wellness-based strategies to initiate growth and transformation
- Prepare to navigate a variety of post-graduate environments with insight, integrity, and humility
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
NCE Pass Rates
94% pass rate in the last 6 years
Job Placement Rates
99% job placement rate
Graduates in the Past Academic Year
10 Graduates in Fall 2021 – Spring 2022
“The program is everything I dreamed of. I had a very positive experience. Can't wait to become an LCPC.” – 2018 Graduate
“Was the best decision I made to continue my education in this program. Learning from these professors and practitioners was invaluable.” – 2019 Graduate
“I thought it was an eventful time where I learned a lot about both the counseling field and myself. The overall experience left me feeling equipped and prepared for the real world.” – 2021 Graduate
After You Graduate
You’ll graduate from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program ready to counsel with humility, compassion, and faithfulness, serving God wherever you go. You’ll be equipped to counsel in a wide variety of circumstances.
Alumni from the program are serving around the world in mental health agencies, hospitals, missions organizations, faith-based and university counseling centers, and many other places where God has led them.
Eligibility for Licensure (LPC)
The Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at Moody Bible Institute is designed to meet the licensure standards set by the state of Illinois for a Licensed Professional Counselor. Moody Bible Institute cannot determine whether a particular licensure program meets the requirements outside of Illinois. Students seeking licensure in another state are advised to contact the appropriate licensing board in that state to determine specific requirements or guidelines for reciprocity.
A Moody seminary education is easier than ever to afford at $495 per credit hour (price subject to change per academic year). Our scholarships and payment plans help you even more by defraying the cost of tuition and spreading out your financial obligations over time. You may also qualify for a Federal Loan.
In addition to the regular MTS admission requirements, CMHC applicants are required to complete a group interview with CMHC faculty.
Video conference options will be available for the interview dates. Read more about the admissions requirements here.
New Student Orientation dates: TBD.
Here are programs similar to the MA in Mental Health Counseling
TUITION AND FEES
Consider academic costs and living expenses at Chicago Campus.
Connect with an admissions counselor, and learn about the application timeline.