Christian Spiritual Formation Certificate
We are now accepting applications for the 2020/2021 Year 1 and Year 2 cohorts
Application Deadline for Fall, 2020 is July 1, 2020
Join the Christian Spiritual Formation Certificate program, a one- or two-year cohort program designed to help you learn how to abide in Christ. You’ll be transformed as you strengthen your walk with Him. You will also learn how to minister to others, through spiritual formation and instruction in the church.
See how Spiritual Formation has influenced Jenny’s walk with Christ
The program is divided into four weekend retreats throughout the year. Each retreat includes teaching, worship, shared meals, times of reflection, small groups, and personal meetings with a spiritual director. You’ll encounter Christ in a new way as you grasp a deeper sense of the process of spiritual transformation. Form lasting relationships with others who also want to deepen their relationship with Him.
As a year one student, you’ll:
- Encounter Christ and grow in your intimacy with Him as you talk to Him.
- Receive tools to honestly measure yourself by God’s truth.
- Identify sinful patterns that inhibit your relationship with Christ.
- Study devotional literature and learn how your life fits in the grand theme of Scripture.
- Develop a spiritual rhythm of walking with God, and join a growing community of believers who will encourage you to mature in Christ.
As a year two student, you’ll:
- Learn how to internalize God’s Word, discern His voice, and understand His redemptive plan for humanity.
- Develop your identity in Christ and cultivate spiritual practices that deepen your intimacy with Him.
- Learn how to bring God’s love to the oppressed and those in need.
- Recognize what is keeping you from loving God and others.
- Strengthen your biblical worldview and interact with Christian spiritual classics that have shaped the church.
SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR CERTIFICATION
You can choose to become certified as a spiritual director during the year two program. You’ll have a slightly increased workload, but you’ll follow the same schedule as others in year two. As you train for the certification, you will:
- Meet with a small group of peers for supervision and training in spiritual direction.
- Read biblically informed books about spiritual growth.
- Provide spiritual direction in your practicum.
- Meet personally with a supervisor to discuss practicum cases. Learn how to listen to others with humility and discernment, and understand the process of spiritual growth and change.
At the retreats, you’ll meet with the 18–30 other members of your cohorts at the retreat center, where room and board is provided. You’ll talk about the coursework you’ve done between retreats, and hear lectures from experts.
Joseph and Mary Retreat House, Mundelein, IL
Chicago Year One — September 2020
- September 11–13, 2020
- December 4–6, 2020
- Feb 19–21, 2021
- April 30–May 2, 2021
Chicago Year Two — September 2020
- September 10–12, 2021
- November 19–21, 2021
- February 4, 2022
- April 22, 2022
America’s Keswick, Whiting, New Jersey
New York Year One — September 2020
- September 25-27, 2020
- November 20-22, 2020
- January 29-31, 2021
- April 16-18, 2020
The program fee is $2,800 per year*, which covers both class materials and retreats. Students may be required to buy several books. Moody offers a payment plan and offers scholarships on a case-by-case basis.
* This is a yearly fee. The student must apply annually, signing up for one year at a time.