Skip navigation

This site uses cookies to provide you with more responsive and personalized service and to collect certain information about your use of the site.  You can change your cookie settings through your browser.  If you continue without changing your settings, you agree to our use of cookies.  See our Privacy Policy for more information.

International Student Office



The International Student Office, located on Moody's Chicago Campus, facilitates all aspects of international student support including:

  • assisting with enculturation to life in the United States
  • keeping abreast of immigration regulations 
  • facilitating international student and missionary kid groups

The International Student Office also holds International Student and Missionary Kid Orientations each semester. This is a valuable time where international students and missionary kids arrive before other incoming freshmen and take part in activities and seminars to assist them in getting used to life in the United States. Most importantly, orientation provides the opportunity for international students to make lasting friendships that often continue well beyond their Moody years.

If you have any questions, you can contact our office at:

LI - International Students Office

Spokane International Students

Student Services also facilitates a specific orientation for international students prior to the incoming student orientation. In addition to contacting the International Student Office based on the Chicago campus, Spokane students can contact the following staff member:

Michael Wilson
Associate Dean of Students
(509) 535-4051

Michigan International Students

In addition to contacting the International Student Office based on the Chicago campus, Michigan students can contact the following staff members.

Dr. Paul Wilson
Associate Dean of Student Services
(734) 207-9581, ext. 313

International Student Groups

International Student Fellowship

International Students Fellowship serves to represent international students' issues and concerns, and to continue to create a support network for international students. In addition, International Student Fellowship serves to promote unity between international students and the rest of the campus by raising cultural awareness and understanding and stirring an interest for other cultures in the student body.


MuKappa, which derives its name from the Greek letters for M and K, is an authorized member chapter of MuKappa, International. MuKappa exists to help third culture kids at Moody become acclimated to life in the United States and foster friendships between missionary kids.

International Student Admissions

Undergraduate Requirements

International students should consult the nearest American consul or embassy regarding study in the United States. Moody admits undergraduate students from other countries only during the fall semester. All applicants coming from a country where English is not the official language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (Internet-based). Scores must be submitted directly to Moody's Admissions Office.  The school code for Moody is 1486.

Seminary Requirements

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service has approved the Institute for the training of international students. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens should consult the government website, Study in the States

Test Scores

Proficiency in written and spoken English is required. Nationals from other than English-speaking countries as well as permanent residents, foreign-born U.S. residents and international students, for whom English was not the first language, must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language and achieve a minimum score of 575 (paper-based), 233 (computer-based)  and 85 (Internet-based). For information, visit

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the application deadline for an international student?
Visit our Application Deadlines page for current deadlines. It is recommended that international students start the application process earlier than students that are U.S. citizens due to the paperwork load involved. Keep in mind that all international students that are attending college for the first time or transfering from a college overseas will begin in the fall semester. International students who are transferring from a college in the U.S. will be considered for admission during the spring semester on a case-by-case basis.

Do you offer special scholarships for international students?
Yes, there are a limited number of scholarships available. Incoming freshmen may apply for scholarships. Students are also encouraged to find support from outside sources, such as their home church or Christian organizations they intend to serve in the future. For more information about scholarships from Moody, please contact the Financial Aid office at

I am currently attending another school. How can I transfer to your school?
First you must submit your application to admissions office and be admitted. After that, you will be given a transfer form to complete. The Assistant Dean for International Students will contact the current designated school official (DSO) to set up the I-20 release date. Once the transfer process is completed, we will issue you a new I-20. Please keep in mind that you must begin classes at the new school within five months.

Am I allowed to work while studying at Moody?
Once you are accepted to Moody, you are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours/week (part-time) during the semester and more than 40 hours/week (full-time) during school breaks and holidays. Some of the jobs available on campus are housekeeping, food service, physical plant, library, and administrative work.

Do my parents need to sign the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) too?
Yes, if the parents are your supporter. The person who signs the 1-134 can be anyone who will give you financial support. If your sponsor is not your parent, you do not need your parent's signature on the form. If your sponsor or sponsors are American citizens or permanent residents, they do not need to get the Form I-134 notarized, but if the sponsor is not an American citizen or a US permanent resident, he will use a Moody affidavit form and will need to get the form notarized by a notary public.

There is only one notary public in the area I live. The process of notarizing documents takes a long time and is expensive. Can I ask for a waiver?
You are obliged to follow the required procedures in completing the Moody Affidavit of Support. This includes having it notarized by any authorized notary public regardless of your circumstances, because it is a legal governmental document. However, for the student's own bank statement, you do not need to notarize it again as long as a legal bank official's stamp or seal is included.

Can a spouse of the F-1 student work or take classes?
The F-2 spouse may not accept employment in any circumstances. He/she also may not engage in full time study unless it is avocational or recreational in nature. However, if he/she desires to pursue a degree, he/she must apply for the change of status from F-2 to F-1.


Ready to apply to Moody?
Read through the application requirements and fill out the online application today!

Apply Online IC - Arrow Triangle - Small


Learn more about Moody's programs and schools.
Fill out this form to receive information on degrees and majors, student life and discover what makes Moody the gold standard of Bible-based education.

Request information IC - Arrow Triangle - Small


Live a day in the life of a Moody student.
Schedule a campus visit and you can visit classes, talk to current students and professors, experience campus life and get answers to your important questions.

Visit Campus IC - Arrow Triangle - Small

More Info

Orientation Schedule (Chicago - Fall)

Contact Us