Please note that over the next several weeks we will be making changes to Moody.edu to enhance your experience as you visit our site. As a result, the content on this page will be migrated onto the Academics section, and you may notice changes to the navigation menu during this time. Thank you for visiting our website!
BA in Applied Linguistics
You can receive tools to learn any language in the world
When you earn your Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistics from Moody Bible Institute, you gain the tools to learn any language in the world. You will develop these skills through lectures and by analyzing data from different languages. You’ll meet regularly with a native speaker of a previously unknown language to master the technique of learning any tongue. Receive extensive biblical and theological training that prepares you to effectively share the gospel.
Your Applied Linguistics Studies
As you study, you’ll:
- Develop a deeper appreciation for the gift of language
- Practice what you’re learning as you serve non-English speakers at your PCM
- Discover how to analyze the structure of any language
- Gain understanding of phonetics, grammar, phonology, and second language acquisition
- Learn how to speak a language when you have minimal or no outside resources
Meet your Applied Linguistics program head
You’ll get to study with faculty who have years of linguistic experience, including professor Stephen Clark, the program head. He served as a missionary and Bible translator in Papua New Guinea and brings practical experience to the classroom.
Jobs you can get with an Applied Linguistics degree
When you graduate with a BA in Applied Linguistics you’ll have the practical skills necessary for a wide variety of jobs. You can:
- Translate the Bible
- Train people to read and write
- Do language surveys
- Serve across the globe in a wide range of mission roles
- Get involved in local church outreach
- Minister to immigrants and refugees in your communities
Graduates have also gone on to work as speech pathologists, lawyers, English teachers, military intelligence, and other careers.
Every class in your degree is paid for by the Chicago Tuition Grant, so tuition is worry-free. Every Chicago undergraduate student is awarded this grant, worth up to $10,000 a year. You’re only responsible to pay the remaining amount for room and board, fees, and costs—making a Moody degree the best value in Christian education. Find out how to defray the remaining costs with scholarships, grants, student loans, student employment, and veterans benefits.