Please note that over the next several weeks we will be making changes to Moody.edu to enhance your experience as you visit our site. As a result, the content on this page will be migrated onto the Academics section, and you may notice changes to the navigation menu during this time. Thank you for visiting our website!
Bachelor of Science in Biblical Studies
No matter where you are, you can pursue a Bachelor of Science in Biblical Studies online. With this degree, you will:
- spend more time studying God’s Word than any other book
- be equipped to serve effectively in ministry or in the marketplace by developing biblical thinking, interpretation, and application
- flourish in a strong online community of peers while being mentored by professors
Earn your degree online wherever you are and keep your current schedule.
Purpose and Outcomes
The BSBS degree program is designed to help students apply the Scriptures within contemporary life and ministry. As you study, you'll gain expertise and get support for your unique strengths.
The BSBS is created for students who:
- want to pursue academic goals and keep commitments to family, work, and church
- have a desire to be equipped to serve effectively in ministry or in the marketplace by developing biblical thinking, interpretation, and application
Student Learning Outcomes:
At the completion of the BSBS you will be able to:
- apply research methodologies to identified topics related to biblical studies
- communicate the message of the Scriptures to identified audiences
- utilize historical geography and relevant ancient cultural contexts in the interpretation of the Old Testament and New Testament.
- create action plans to impact personal, familial, or ecclesiastical life through the interpretation of Scripture
- implement a strategy for enhancing your spiritual life
- Career Options
Comprehensive Program Portfolio
Moody will help you create a program portfolio encompassing your best work from every class you take. When you look for new ministry experiences or work, you will be able to showcase your personal ministry brand with a collection of written documents, videos, podcasts, photographs, or other types of work.
Potential Career Options
You will be equipped to serve as a ministry leader, staff member, lay leader, or volunteer, possessing the skills to think biblically about the issues facing a particular Christian ministry, and bring value to your ministry team. Serve as a missionary, associate pastor, or in other ministry capacities. You will also be prepared to pursue a Master of Divinity or other seminary degree options.
Bachelor of Science in Biblical Studies Curriculum
Click here to download the BSBS Program Plan.
|BI 1103 Reading the Old Testament||4|
|BI 1104 Reading the New Testament||4|
|BI 2201 Interpreting Scripture||3|
|BI 2260 Historical Geography of Ancient Israel||3|
|BI 3301 Ancient Near Eastern Backgrounds and the Old Testament||3|
|BI 3302 Second Temple Jewish Backgrounds||3|
|BI 4402 Teaching the Scriptures||4|
|BI 4404 Applying Scripture in the Contemporary World||3|
|BI 4405 Interpreting Isaiah for Teaching||3|
|BI 4406 Interpreting Romans for Teaching||3|
|GSU 1107 Foundations of Learning||3|
|GSU 1115 The Story and Structure of the Bible||3|
|GSU 2203 Self and Social Identity in Christianity||4|
|TH 1105 The Old Testament and Theology||3|
|TH 1106 The New Testament and Theology||3|
|TH 1110 The Church and Its Doctrines||3|
|TH 3302Method for Biblical Theology||3|
Total: (Program Core)
|General Studies Requirements|
|General Studies Core|
|GSU 1110 College Writing||3|
|GSU 1112 Research Writing||3|
|GSU 2202 Introduction to Critical Thinking||3|
|Total: (General Studies Core)||9|
|Critical Thinking and Math||6|
|Oral and Written Communication||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||9|
|Total: (Academic Disciplines)||57|
|Total: (General Studies Requirements)||66|